Planning Advisory Committee
Assists Members with planning applications, enforcement notices and planning appeals
What we do
- Revise and update the RSGB’s official planning advice resource Planning Permission: Advice to Members (19-page/658KB PDF)
- Maintain the Planning Matters pages on the RSGB website
- Comment on Department of the Environment (DoE) guidance or local policies
- Attend rallies and exhibitions to give face-to-face advice to Members
- Coordinate the work of Planning Panel members
- Keep a register of decided planning appeals affecting amateurs
The Society is consulted by the DoE when legislation or guidance affecting amateurs is in draft.
The most significant advice so far as the amateur is concerned is Planning Policy Guidance Note 8 (PPG8) Telecommunications Development.
At its last revision the Committee sought, and had accepted, significant changes in the parts of the PPG which relate to interference.
These changes help define and limit the powers of councils to refuse permission because of concerns about EMC.
So far as it can, given a limited number of Committee members, the Committee wishes to be represented at major rallies and exhibitions so as to be able to provide face-to-face advice to Members.
The Committee coordinates the work of Planning Panel members, and in particular keeps a register of decided planning appeals affecting amateurs.
Although inspectors decide appeals on planning merits, appeal decisions offer a useful insight into what criteria are considered important by the Inspectorate.
Any Planning Panel member has access to these, and can make them available for Members’ use.