VHF Spectrum Release
On 10th October 2014 Ofcom published a statement confirming their proposals for the release of VHF Spectrum in the 143-169MHz range. This includes a proposal regarding temporary amateur use of 146-147 MHz, based on our previous submissions in 2012 and 2014 (see background below).
- RSGB: 146-147MHz Initial Band Plan – 30-Oct-2014 (see also FAQ below)
- RSGB: 146-147MHz Licence, Usage and Band Planning FAQs – 27-Oct-2014
- RSGB: 146-147MHz Convention Presentation – 12-Oct-2014
- Ofcom: Statement on 143-169MHz – 10-Oct-2014
- Ofcom: 143-169 MHz Consultation – March 2014
- RSGB: Joint-Response – May 2014
Note: The 2014 RSGB Convention Presentation above provides an overview of this unique opportunity for innovation.
NoV restrictions include absolute band limits, 25km grid squares near other countries (see map) and a band limit of 146.9375MHz in or within 40km of Scotland. Power is 25W erp max and the maximum permitted antenna height is 20m above ground level.
The original Ofcom call for input regarding VHF spectrum was in 2012. Our joint input developed in the Spectrum Forum was based on innovative digital communications:-
Note: The Society’s wider work in relation to spectrum management, including the 2012 response above, can be found by following:-
About Us > Committees > Spectrum Forum > SF-Papers and Consultations.